Friday, December 15, 2006

Krishnashraya Stotram

Having memorized it for years, I'm surprised that I just recently learnt the meaning of the words of the Krishnashraya Stotram. It was composed by Shree Vallabhacharya at Adel and addressed to Bula Mishra of Lahor. It gives the historical Background of his time in India. He describes the worst state of affairs in India at that time, relating to holy places, rituals and their extinct power, the self seeking learned men, the worthlessness of mankind etc., and on the other hand the effectiveness of the refuge in Shree Krishna (Krushna). Shree Vallabhacharyaji advocates taking shelter under Shree Krishna and none else but Krishna under all circumstances. These words are truly beautiful..and thanks to websites such as the ones listed, I think people have a better understanding.

http://www.pushtikul.com/

http://www.yamna.co.uk/

http://www.geocities.com/pushti_marg

http://www.shrivallabhsharanam.com
_____________________________________
The Meaning of Krishnashraya Stotram
----------------------------------------
When in this Kaliyug (Evil era), with villainous characteristics, all ways of attaining God have vanished and hypocrisy is rampant in people, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (1)

When the country is besieged by invaders and is the home for only sinners, and when people are worried due to torturing of the good people, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (2)

When the most holy places of pilgrimage like Ganga and others are encircled by only the wicked people, and when the divine sanctity has disappeared from those places, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (3)

When even the good people are dulled with pride, follow the sinners and aspire only for wealth and prestige, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (4)

When due to absence of knowledge of real meanings, the scared hymns are almost destroyed and there is no propriety for observing of vows and when the efficacy and deities of Mantras have disappeared, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (5)

When, due to all sorts of interpretations of all ritualistic acts and keepng vows etc., are worthless and when all are in the pursuit of hypocritical attempt, Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (6)

It is our experience that Shree Krushna has done away with all shortcomings of people like Ajamila and thus has displayed his supreme greatness. Therfore Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (7)

All deities are just ordinary. Even the Brahma (Akshara Brahma, abode of Supreme Spirit) is one with limited joy. Whereas KRUSHNA is perfect joy. Hence Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (8)

I am deviod of discreet understanding, patience and devotion etc., and much more, I am addicted to sins; I am without any means to achieve GOD. Shree Krushna alone is my resort. (9)

He is the omnipotent, the one who fulfils all desires everywhere and who gracefully uplifts all those supplicating to him so I beseech to Shree Krushna (10)

For anyone who recites this Krushnashrayam Stotram in the presence of Shree Krushna, The God himself becomes his refuge. So said Shree Vallabha. (11)

No comments: