Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Race towards Oscar

It's that time of the year where I check out Oscar contenders and Golden Globe nominees for the Foreign film section and see if India has made the cut. Not that it matters.
"On a daily basis I educate Hollywood Studios that Bollywood represents 3.8 Billion fans worldwide compared to Hollywood 3.6 Billion fans worldwide, it's time for Hollywood to wake up." Said Sheeraz Hasan (founder of www.Hollywood.tv).

I find this quote to be amazing. I must say that I new this to be true years ago. I find it amazing that Indian movies are watched by more people than any other country's films and that too with a language not spoken by the majority of the world. I have people with non-Indian ancestry coming to me from Russia, Guyana, Nigeria, etc. telling how they are big fans of Indian films and how they've been watching since they were kids. I get so surprised since they can't otherwise speak the language, yet are fans of the films.

Anyhow, it seems like this years contenders for Golden Globe Nominations, "Rang De Basanti", "Omkara", and "Lage Raho Munnabhai" didn't make the final list. I wish them better luck at the Oscars. My favorite in all of these is RDB, although I haven't seen Omkara. LRM was good, but I still LOVE RDB.

No comments: