Thursday, January 11, 2007

Underappreciated Films




After I wrote about the worst Indian movies..I thought I would write about those that were underappreciated...

Movies that should have been more popular...

Iqbal (2005): I believe this movie was a critic's favorite, but it just flopped. In my mind, it shouldn't have flopped. I can't get enough of Nagesh Kukunoor and Iqbal.

Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar (2001): What an unbelievably funny movie! I think people will watch this one over and over on DVD/TV but just refused to go to the theater to see it.

Muskurahat (1992) : I watched this movie and I really liked it. I came across it years later and thought I've never heard of it..and watched it again..I fell in love with it over again. Of course, it is a Priyadarshan film so its gotta be funny!

Khel (1991) (Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit): It was a good film that flopped. I found the following on BollyCat (http://www.bollycat.com/movies/khel)
So its a copy...but the film was interesting.

Rules: Pyar Ka Superhit Formula (2003): I love how some characters you think having nothing to do with the plot are introduced and each of them get weaved into the storyline leaving no loose ends behind. This movie was a hit, however whenever I mention this film no one knows about it. Leaving me to believe it is underappreciated. Milin Soman is so hot and Meera Vasudevan makes me wish I were her.

Khakee (2004): This was another great film by Raj Kumar Santoshi...that was so had a box office of just result of just Average (Box Office India) The storyline was gripping, the climax was intense and the ending was simply satisfying. There was many many memorable scenes in between. It had it all. Akhshay Kumar was funny, Aishwariya was sharp, Ajay Devgan was good - bad cop goonda, and get this Tusshar Kapoor was tolerable.

Lajja (2001): One word- Awesome! Of course it flopped. This was a multi-starter..unlike Jaani Dushman (also a Manisha starer)..so incredible to watch. It's the story of how Manisha Koirala witnesses the plight of Indian women in different parts of the country as she tries to escape her husband. Some incredible lines delivered by Madhuri Dixit, Mahima Chaudary, and Anil Kapoor. All three of them and Manisha's act really well in the movie. I've fallen in love with Raj Kumar Santoshi films..this movies story comes from a newspaper article that RKS read about a women named Raamdulari being burnt alive.

Teen Deewarein (2003) Nagesh Kukunoor is one of my favorite directors..I just wish he had the popularity of Karan Johar, since he has more talent than that guy has popularity.

Kaun! (1998) Ram Gopal Verma directs this incredible film with - can you believe - only three actors. Brilliant performances all across - Urmila Matondkar, Manoj Bajpai.

No comments: