Thursday, January 25, 2007

What if...Sheel Does Bollywood

As I sit here in my cubicle, which I share with another coworker, masquerading as a diligent employee, staring at the corner time display of my computer screen, which is still showing 2:46 PM, I am left to ponder what if I hadn't taken the plunge into the overwhelming thrill ride that is Information Technology. What would I have done? Could I have been an Indian film Star..or at least a C-list "altu-phaltu" (nobody)? Hey, a girl can dream can't see, and so this one does...

I abscond from this constant state of lethargy known as work and land on a couch of a room in the Port of Bombay now called Mumbai. I look around the room as the door across the couch opens up and in comes a 40-something man who seems to be inebriated. He plops down on the couch uncomfortably close to me and he says, "Thanks for coming to my Madh Island bungalow, 'Ruchi', I wanted to get to know your "acting" skills on a more personal level." Looking outside the window at the dark of night, I know for a fact that he is not going to ask me to sing bhajans to him. Before I could say, "Ruchi who?", he places his arm around me. I immediately freeze up, not saying anything, while debates go off in my head. What am I doing?, so can I get a role out of it?? Unbeknownst to me, the glimmer of character that I didn't know to exist burst out of nowhere and I pushed him off and sprang out the door.

My daydreams truly suck with negativity oozing out of every bubble. Most people fantasize of super-stardom and here I am imagining obscurity. Ah well, I'm back at work its January 2007 and I still have a December 2006 calendar on my wall. Looking at my lackluster cubicle, I'm already looking forward to my next What if....

No comments: